- Senior Managing Director
- Economic Consulting
- T: +1 703 966 1954
- 8251 Greensboro Drive
- McLean, VA, 22102
- United States
- T: +1 571 405 3260
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Virginia
- M.B.A., Georgetown University
- Economic Consulting
- Expert Testimony
- Regulated Industries
- Public Policy
- Energy, Power & Products
- Retail & Consumer Products
Ken Ditzel is a Senior Managing Director at FTI Consulting and is based in North Carolina. Mr. Ditzel is in the Economic and Financial Consulting practice and leads the firm’s North American energy market modeling and economic impact analysis team.
Mr. Ditzel has 20 years of experience in market analysis and consulting. His work has been used in antitrust and competitive assessments; arbitration, litigation and regulatory disputes; asset due diligence; corporate growth strategies; integrated resource plans; project feasibility studies; and policy analyses. He often uses statistical and optimization models to determine how changes in market and regulatory variables affect energy supply, demand and prices. His clients have included financial institutions, independent power producers, manufacturers, private equity firms, technology firms, trade associations, and utilities. His work has covered the biofuels, coal, electricity, domestic gas and LNG, manufacturing, oil and refined products, petrochemicals, and renewables industries.
As the lead for the firm’s North American economic impacts group, Mr. Ditzel uses models such as IMPLAN, REMI and GTAP to assess current and future impacts to GDP, employment, labor income and tax revenues at the project, county, state, market, national and international levels. Mr. Ditzel’s economic impact work has covered the agriculture, energy, forestry, manufacturing, and retail and wholesale trade sectors.
As an expert witness, Mr. Ditzel has been involved in matters related to biofuels, coal, crude oil, gas-to-liquids, natural gas, power generation, and retail sales impacts. He has testified before the International Chamber of Commerce’s International Court of Arbitration, the London Court of International Arbitration, and a state public utility commission.
Mr. Ditzel has authored numerous reports, presentations and articles, such as:
- Connors, Peter, Ditzel, Ken, Emmet, Joshua, Li, Fengrong, “Review of Federal, State, and Regional Tax Strategies and Opportunities for CO2-EOR-Storage and the CCUS Value Chain,” prepared for the United Stated Department of Energy and the United States Energy Association, September 21, 2020.
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Nystrom, Scott, and DeRubis, Mitch, “Feasibility Study for the Western Cape Integrated Liquefied Natural Gas Importation and Gas-to-Power Project,” prepared for the U.S. Trade and Development Agency, November 2019.
- Ditzel, Kenneth, Nystrom, Scott, and DeRubis, Mitch, “Industry, Economic, and Environmental Impacts of Extending the Biodiesel Blending Tax Credit,” October 2019.
- Scott Nystrom, Jack Tunstall, and Ken Ditzel, “The Economic Impact of America’s Electric Cooperatives,” March 2019.
- Ditzel, Ken, Nystrom, Scott, and DeRubis, Mitch, “The Economic Impact of Steel and Aluminum Tariffs,” August 2018.
- Ditzel, Kenn, Long, Gary, and Nystrom, Scott, “Steel Buyers Beware,” FTI Journal, November 2018.
- Ditzel, Ken, Nystrom, Scott, and O’Hare, Katie, “The Economic, Fiscal, and Emissions Impacts of a Revenue-Neutral Carbon Tax,” July 2018.
- George I. Treyz Award for Excellence in Economic Analysis (2018)
- Ditzel, Ken, Nystrom, Scott, and O’Hare, Katie, “Economic Impacts of an Infrastructure Bill on the Wood Products Value Chain,” January 2018.
- Ditzel, Ken, Nystrom, Scott, and Klein, Evan, “Oregon Cap-and-Trade – An Economic Impact Analysis of SB 1574 (2016),” Report to Associated Oregon Industries, March 2017.
- George I. Treyz Award for Excellence in Economic Analysis (2017)
- Ditzel, Ken, Fisher, Robert, Choe, Charlie, and Zarate, Pablo “Outlook for Natural Gas in Mexico: The Electricity Sector Will Drive the Market,” FTI Whitepaper, January 2017.