Johan van der Walt
- Senior Managing Director
- Forensic & Litigation Consulting
- T: +27 11 214 2407
- BCompt Hons Chartered Accountant
- Chartered Accountant
- Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE)
- South African Institute of Commercial Forensic Practitioners (ICFP)
- Forensic Accounting & Investigations
Johan van der Walt is a Senior Managing Director at FTI Consulting and leads the Forensic and Litigation Consulting segment in Johannesburg. He has conducted investigative work in over 70 countries around the world.
Examples of investigative engagements that Johan has directly led include:
- Acted as an expert forensic accountant in various matters of a civil nature for parties in the quantification of losses suffered and determining the merits of some of the civil matters.
- Acted as an expert forensic accountant in various high-profile criminal matters where the individuals have been prosecuted and/or are in the process of prosecution;
- Conducted the determination of losses suffered by one of the South African major retail groups as a result of an extortion incident.
- Conducted the determination of losses suffered and the investigation of the merits of third party claims insurance and guarantee as a result of the corporate failure of a stock broking firm.
- Conducted the determination of losses suffered in the production and transport of iron ore.
- Conducted the determination of losses suffered as a result of the cancellation of a contract for a diamond processing plant in Russia. Mr van der Walt subsequently testified in Sweden on the subject matter.
- Assisted a mining house in Africa with aspects in the defense of a multi-million dollar class action claim against the company.
- Acted as a consultant in the prevention and detection of economic crimes and the evaluation of risks as well as the design and implementation of strategies preventing the experiences of economic crimes.
- Assisted a major mobile telecom’s transcontinental operators in Africa in a civil matter, defending a claim against the company.
- Conducted numerous investigations in East Africa, West Africa, Central Africa, South Africa, Lusophone countries, Europe (including Jersey, Guernsey and the British Virgin Islands), the Middle East, the far East and South East Asia in matters (criminal and civil litigation). These matters included the Mining, Energy, Financial Services, Logistics Services, Telecommunications, Agriculture, Industrial Services, Construction, Local Government and Public Service sectors.
- Led team of 140 investigators in India investigating financial statement fraud committed at Satyam, a NASDAQ listed entity at the time. The purpose of the investigation was to eventually restate reported financial statements for a period of 10 years, as required by the SEC.
- Assisted clients in investigations and dispute resolutions with local regulators involving customs and excise. The matters investigated included allegations of:
- Undervaluation of imports and exports Maladministration in the clearance process
- Irregular conduct by clearing agents
- Corrupt practices