Australian Business and Financial Journalists Social Media Survey 2013
FTI Consulting recently surveyed a significant portion of Australian business and finance journalists to find out how they are using social media and importantly, the implications of this for corporates.
The key findings include:
- Six out of seven journalists use social media to generate leads and source information on companies and senior executives.
- Twitter is the platform of choice – journalists are just one stakeholder group in a long list turning to Twitter to join the discussion on corporates and events, with customers, employees, investors, suppliers, unions, activists and community.
- In the event of a crisis, Twitter is the ‘go-to’ source for candid information – and ‘protest groups’ are perceived as offering the most ‘interesting’ angles around crises.
- Some sectors are implementing social media strategies better than others, but journalists believe all should be doing more.
- Companies without a social media strategy are perceived as being ‘left behind’ and out of touch.