Offshore Trust Disputes
Offshore trusts are widely used as a means to achieve a variety of estate, personal, financial or other business planning objectives in a tax efficient way. The increasing popularity of such structures has seen a sharp rise in the number of disputes in recent years. Most take place in an international environment and often involve significant assets settled into trusts, usually in the form of property, financial investments and interests in substantial operating businesses which can be anywhere in the world. Their complexity means that handling such disputes requires specialist skills and expertise. FTI Consulting offers a wide range of specialist services to assist trustees, beneficiaries and their legal advisers in unravelling complex financial issues and resolving disputes in a cost effective and expedient manner.
What We Do
We provide specialist investigation, valuation, technology and litigation support services to professional trustees and beneficiaries engaged in disputes. We are also often instructed to preserve, protect and recover assets in circumstances where individual trustees, private trust companies or other parties involved in the administration of trusts, have failed to act in the interests of beneficiaries or have misapplied trust property. Examples of our recent relevant experience appear overleaf but our specific services include:
- Accepting appointments to replace trustees
- Acting as directors of holding companies
- Court appointed receivers or provisional liquidators of companies holding trust assets
- Financial investigations and forensic accounting, including damages assessment and asset tracing
- Expert witness services in litigation/arbitration
- Valuation of assets and businesses
- E-discovery and computer forensics.